If you need to fix broken gutters, you may be able to DIY if the damage isn't too bad. Here's what you need to know at a glance:
- With some basic tools and DIY skills, you can fix broken gutters if the damage is minor
- Large scale damage will need to be repaired by a professional
- Regular gutter cleaning can prevent gutter damage and extend the life of your gutters
Keep reading to find out the best ways to fix leaking gutters.
Tips to fix leaking gutters
There are a number of things you can do to try and fix leaking gutters. The best method will depend on the cause of the leaking and how big the problem is. Here are a few things you can do:
- Clear blockages – If the leaking is caused by a blockage in your gutters or downpipes, clearing debris from the gutters and flushing the downpipes might solve the problem.
- Trim overhanging trees – Once your gutters are clear, trimming trees that drop leaves will help prevent blockages from occurring as long as you still clean your gutters regularly.
- Fill any holes – If leaking is caused by holes in the gutter, these can be filled with weatherproofing tape. Clear any debris and scrape away surface rust with a wire brush, and make sure the area is dry before applying the tape.
- Seal leaking joints – The best way to fix leaking gutters caused by the joints or corners of the guttering is with a silicone sealant. Make sure the area is clean and dry before applying.
If the damage to your gutters is severe or widespread, you may need a roof plumber to fix them or replace the whole section. You may also need a professional gutter cleaner if there are any blockages you can't reach or clear yourself.
How to prevent gutter damage
The best way to prevent gutter damage and extend the life of your gutters is with regular cleaning. That way, you won't need to fix broken gutters at all.
When debris collects in gutters, water can pool and cause rust to develop much faster, eventually causing holes to develop. Gutters may still flow correctly during rain, so there may not be any outward signs that they need to be cleaned. This is why you should clean your gutters regularly, even if they look fine.
If debris builds up enough to block your gutters completely and cause water to overflow, this can cause serious damage to your property, not just your gutters.
Read more: How often should you clean your gutters?
Choose Bax for gutter cleaning and maintenance
We're your gutter experts in Melbourne. We can clean your gutters to make sure they're working as they should be. We can also fix broken gutters if the damage is minor.
Regular cleanings will make sure your gutters will last for as long as possible. Professional gutter cleaning is a lot cheaper than having your gutters repaired or replaced by a roof plumber. It's in your best interests to clean your gutters regularly.