The roles and responsibilities of landlords and tenants are often a source of tension and conflict. Some landlords use agencies to manage the relationship for that very reason. However, the agent can only act according to the agreement between the landlord and the tenant. The quality of the rental agreement is key to the clarity of roles and responsibilities and the success of the relationship.
What are the rights and responsibilities of each party when it comes to gutter cleaning? At Bax, we know a thing or two about that. Read on to find out more about the subject.
Bax Clean provides professional gutter cleaning services to landlords and tenants to help them meet their obligations under the rental agreement.
General principles for gutter cleaning in a rental property
The landlord is responsible for handing over the property to a tenant in good condition. This obligation could include fresh paint, repair of damages and cleaning. During the negotiation, the landlord and tenant should agree on any items to be completed before the tenant takes occupation. If the gutters are full of leaves and debris, the new tenant could insist on a cleaning before moving in.
At the end of a lease period, the tenant must hand back the property in good condition. This requirement means repairing items that broke during their occupation. It also means that they must clean the property to the same standard in which they received it. The landlord is entitled to withhold a portion of the deposit to cover any reasonable expenses associated with the property’s condition when the lease terminates.
During the occupation, the roles and responsibilities of landlords and tenants are governed by the rental agreement.
How important is a rental agreement for gutter cleaning?
The obligations of landlords and tenants are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act of 1999 in Australia. All rental agreements should comply with the legal requirements to avoid disputes that could end up in court. However, the law does not stipulate every detail that should go into a rental agreement. Each property is unique, and there is significant flexibility in the delegation of responsibilities to the parties involved.
It is vital for both the landlord and tenant to review the rental agreement and negotiate agreeable terms for both parties. As this agreement will become the guiding document for their relationship in the future, it must be clear and unambiguous. Several questions should be answered by the terms in the contract, for example:
- Terms of access to the property by the landlord for inspection
- Payment terms and consequences for a breach
- Roles and responsibilities of the landlord and tenant
- Rules about the property, e.g. allowance of pets
Options for gutter cleaning in a rental property
There are two main approaches for establishing roles and responsibilities between a landlord and tenant:
- The landlord takes on a higher level of responsibility, and the tenant pays a higher rent. Using this approach, a landlord may establish contracts for the pool maintenance, garden maintenance, as well as routine window and gutter cleaning. This approach offers the landlord the advantage of control over the standard of care for the property. It is also simpler for the tenant, although more expensive.
- The tenant takes on a higher level of responsibility but pays a lower rent as a result. This approach allows the tenant to perform many of the tasks associated with property care himself or herself without incurring the costs of specialist contractors. Even if the tenant chooses to employ contractors for these functions, they could source a lower-cost solution that still meets the requirements of the agreement. The landlord does not have as much control of the property, but they also don’t have the hassle of managing multiple contractors.
Professional gutter cleaning services for rental properties
Cleaning gutters is about much more than just aesthetics. Blocked gutters cause a build-up of water, which flows back onto the property. This water can damage the structure, cause furniture and plaster to rot, and contribute to pest infestations. There is also the danger of electrical damage, which has safety implications for residents and workers.
Whether you are a landlord or tenant, it is worth considering professional gutter cleaning services. Professional service providers are trained to work at height and have the right equipment to clean the gutters thoroughly. Safety is of significant concern, especially for multi-story buildings. Professional cleaners have trained personnel with the proper certification to work in those conditions. Professional cleaners remove debris from the gutters and downpipes of residential and commercial buildings using high-powered suction.
In Australia, gutters should be cleaned every three to six months. This interval depends on the number of surrounding trees and other factors.