The benefit of clean windows goes beyond the aesthetic appeal of a neat and tidy home, business, or office. There are health benefits, economic benefits, and safety benefits to using a professional cleaning service to clean your windows regularly.
Bax Clean offer professional window cleaning services for homes and businesses. If you want to brighten up an interior, get started with a quote from our team.
1. The health benefits of clean windows
Clean windows provide maximum exposure to natural light. This exposure is particularly important in the office environment. An article in the Occupational Health and Safety Magazine lists several benefits of exposure to natural light, some of which are listed below:
- Mood enhancement. People who spend very little time in natural light tend to have a drop off in their general frame of mind compared to those exposed to sunlight. This can be seen in the change in seasons from longer days to longer nights — and also in the amount of natural light coming from windows into the office.
- Better sleep. Research shows that office workers without exposure to natural light have on average 46 minutes less sleep per night than those who do. Adequate sleep is vital for productivity.
- Vitamin D. This vital vitamin for human health comes from exposure to sunlight and is therefore directly related to the amount of natural light a person enjoys each working day.
- Eye-health. Natural light limits the strain on an employee’s eyes. This principle is confirmed by research which shows a 51% reduction in eye strain and a 63% drop in headaches for people exposed to natural light.
Of course, natural light is not only beneficial in the office environment. A home is brighter and seems to have a lighter atmosphere when the windows are clean too.
In the home environment, there could also be a build-up of organic contaminants on windows. Organic material allows mould to grow, which can impact the health of residents negatively. Reactions to mould include itchy eyes, stuffy nose and wheezing. In severe cases, residents may also suffer from asthma.
2. The economic benefits of clean windows
Cleaning windows regularly can save you money. This is because the build-up of dirt and grime is not only unsightly; it is also damaging:
- Dirt clings to the pores on a window surface. The longer it stays and the harder it gets, the more likely it is to cause scratches or even cracks during cleaning.
- Chemicals like those used in construction, welding or painting can damage glass. Damage from chemicals causes streaking on the glass surface. Pitting on the glass surface may also occur from weld spatter.
- Acid rain can also cause long term damage to glass without regular washing.
Experience shows that the longer the interval between window cleaning, the more difficult the windows are to clean. The cleaning takes longer than it should and may require more potent chemicals and more resources to get the job done. If there is construction or maintenance activity in the area, the chances are that your windows will need more regular cleaning while those activities are ongoing.
Cleaning windows regularly has benefits beyond cost savings. In the case of retail shops and restaurants, the neat and clean shopfront attracts customers to the business.
Window displays are a powerful method for attracting customers into a store, but dirty windows detract from their impact and can reduce foot traffic through the door. Clean windows create a great first impression and allow customers to enjoy their consumer experience with a pleasant ambience.
Each application is unique in terms of the optimum frequency for window cleaning. But a general rule of thumb is that residential units and apartments should be cleaned quarterly or biannually. Retail and restaurants should be cleaned monthly or even weekly if required.
3. The safety benefits of professional window cleaning
Commercial and apartment buildings often have several floors with windows to be cleaned at height. Only a professional cleaning company with the right equipment, training, and certification should be trusted to complete these tasks.
Bax Clean is qualified to use industrial rope access techniques and elevated work platforms to reach these high windows. They have all the protocols in place and are compliant with the regulatory requirements of working safely at height.
As far as chemicals are concerned, professional cleaning companies have appropriate chemicals to use for the particular application at hand. They carry the safety and first aid information about the chemicals and train their workers in their use.